Which device will be more compatible with Locus GIS and improve my work in field

Dear colleagues, welcome everyone!
I am a biologist on PhD studies. I successfully use Locus GIS application and I no longer have to use traditional paper maps.
I’m working with my smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Not 4 and this device work quite good, but I am looking for something better with more acurate GPS and may be with bigger display. I’m curious what devices you work on? I also considered the possibility of buying a GNSS bluetooth receiver (antenna), which could be operated by Locus GIS - I saw this possibility in the options. What compatible models do you recommend?

I’m biologist too and running an own planning company with several employees which are all using LocusGIS out in the field (one of the two example database in new ver. 0.12 is ours…). We are mainly working with Galaxy Tab Active 2 (8 inches) and Galaxy Note 9 (6.4 in) - both with stylus (that’s extremely helpful for digitizing in LGIS!). Our experience so far is: Samsung generally seems to have very good GPS (and Glonass + Beidou) receiving (in general <1-2 m). Some years ago we started older LGIS on Nexus 7 devices which were rather inaccurate (sometimes >10 m). One also running Huawei Mate 9 is also accurate (needs additional stylus which are available with 1 mm tip - also valuable for digitizing). Last years we were using Galaxy Note Tab 10 (10 inches, GPS accurate and with stylus) but these proved as too unhandy in the field (and not water resistant)
We are mainly working in tree expertises and are able to correct GPS inaccuracies by using WMTS aerial pic services. Depending on wether and location (a bit worse in forests) we are regularely able to correct detailed tree positions on top of aerial pic which gives us sufficient accuracy.

1 Like

That’s how I see it. I need the GPS signal above all to determine the approximate position. With the help of aerial photos from WMS I then “correct” the location so to speak. I work with a Galaxy Tab SM-T813.

You can use “Co App” GPS Averaging to increase GPS accuracy. Install it from Google Play, then, in Locus tap on “Choose place” when adding point. Choose GPS Averaging, start measuring, stop to apply averaged coordinates. I think you can reach sub-meter level accuracy. Of course device have to be held still.
But still won’t be as accurate as placing features manually with the aid of WMS aerial photos. Especially in wooden areas.

Thank you very much for your helpful answers!

in connection with a tablet I use LENOVO Yoga 2 851F in the field, which isn’t a GPS device, but as a portable computer, e.g. to use the keys for marking plants and plant communities. Its advantage is a capacious battery and the ability to quickly hang the tablet around the neck with any shoulder strap. Indeed, it is very difficult to use devices without a pen style and with limited touch support.
Accuracy of standard GPS in mobile devices are unfortunately uncertain (e.g. in forest and mountain densities). Another problem is the instability of Internet networks on the terrain and also slow loading of WMS/WMTS layers. Of course I use in the field only orthophotomaps. Do you use ready-made, downloadable raster image of maps?

Greetings!

We are also working with GPS (+Glonass, Beidou) and assistance of WMTS aerial pics which gives in wooden areas sufficient results. Since we were working with LGIS since end of 2014 we had experiences with several devices: in earlier years we were using Nexus tablets which gave terrible uncertainties. Recently we are using Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 devices in my company which are really sufficient. GPS location (devices are using also GLONASS and BEIDOU as well) are much more precise and - btw - they are rugged and stylus-equipped an with 8 inch screen good for quickly putting into pocket… But assistance of aerial pics is continuously used.